A number of initiatives have been undertaken by the College towards determining the degree of gender imbalances and creating awareness on the importance of gender equality. These initiatives have included the following;
- A quantitative survey of number and distribution of staff and students, 2013/2014.
- A baseline research on Gender Perception of DUCE Staff and students, 2013/2014.
- A baseline research on Students Support and Success: Challenges and Opportunities for Female Students at DUCE 2014/2015.
- A baseline research on Institutional analysis of recruitment and promotion of academic staff at DUCE 2014/2015
- Formulation of An Anti-Sexual Harassment Policy currently in progress.
- Formulation of a Gender Policy currently in progress.
- Putting in place an institutional mechanism to facilitate gender mainstreaming in all programs and plans, including affirmative action.
- Undertaking gender awareness programmes for the College community.
- Mainstreaming gender in the curricula of some departments.
- Instituting affirmative action to increase the number and proportion of female students. Through the DUCE Gender Unit in collaboration with UDSM Gender Center, for example, an initiative to increase the number of female students in Science Disciplines has been introduced through the project “Bridging Programme for Girls in Science”.